In August of 1940, H.W. Hoover Sr., President of The Hoover Company, brought 84 British children to North Canton, Ohio. The children, whose parents were employees of Hoover Limited, located just outside of London, ranged in age from 2-15 and were brought to Stark County and fostered by local families in order to keep them out of harm’s way in war-torn Europe. The children returned home after World War Two ended in 1945. This oral history project was conducted in 2015 through the Walsh University Division of the Humanities in preparation for the 75th anniversary of the children’s arrival.
Continue onto the collection